Friday, February 18, 2011

We live in a modest-sized, ranch-style house with two girls who may or may not be "light sleepers."  I treat them as such because it took our oldest daughter almost two years to be able to nap on her own and now I am fiercely overprotective of their naps and nighttime sleep.  Those were long years when Anna needed 100% parental assistance to nap, where it felt like every hour was spent planning the next nap, "doing" the nap (because I had to hold her, rock her, or nurse her during her the entirety of her nap, or simply thinking/agonizing about sleep.  Getting her to sleep at night was so very difficult too. She would stir and wake if the dog shook near her room. If we walked in the hallway. If we flushed the toilet. Every morning when my husband stirred half and half into his coffee. 

So we bought carpet pallets for the hallway, we learned to take off our slippers and tip-toe near her room, we stopped flushing the toilet when she slept, and I begged Steve to use a plastic spoon in the morning while stirring his coffee. 
We also, as a last-ditch effort, shoved a green towel under her door to muffle the sounds. 

That towel stayed there for years. And its identical twin found a home at the bottom of Eliza's door.  While they served their purpose by creating, in my mind, a quiet cocoon for my sleeping girls, they always looked messy, were tripping hazards, and were prime collectors of dog hair.

It recently occurred to me to fix this problem. So I did. 

 My idea in its early stage, inside out, after sewing the initial seam closed. I even pressed it, as directed.

I had to keep her busy somehow, so she's filling snack-sized bags with the pellets I'll be filling the tubes with. 

 Voila! My measurements were on target. 

Much nicer than those green towels.

Sleep tight, my girls.

1 comment: