Friday, April 22, 2011

When I think of the different mothers I look up to, one of the images I envision is a woman leaning over a sewing machine, her hands feeding soft fabric through the small opening between the needle and bobbin, creating something beautiful for her children.  I can see the love these mothers have for their children, overflowing and spilling out of their bodies, morphed into a beautiful quilt or a special blanket. I browse through crafty blogs and see pictures upon pictures of homemade toys, appliqued cloth books, an adorable pillowcase dress, and knit sweaters perfect for keeping a little body warm during the winter.

I have wanted to make things for my darling girls, things that they may keep one day in a special box, things that show them, over and over again, how crazy about them their mother is.  To my excitement, I found a sewing class at a nearby "institute" and for 10 weeks, spent time learning how to use a sewing machine. The main project I worked on was a bag, and I made it for Anna in coordinating colors to match her room.  It's a special "bedtime bag," as it has a compartment for her pajamas and one for her nightly book. We hang it on the door-knob so that after bath, she gets her bag and everything she needs is organized.




1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful sewing project to do for Anna. I can't wait to see it in her room. Your intentions in taking this class were for the good of your children. I'm sure they feel this love every day in all your gestures and words. They will have of good memories to cherish as teenagers. Love you lots.

    ReplyDelete